Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Joe Smith After All

I confess I still don't get this one, though the cost is low and Smith adds "funk" to the bullpen mix, whatever that is.  Patton, who was called up to replace Matusz, will undoubtedly be dispatched back to Iowa to make room for Smith.  What happens next is anyone's guess, however.  The Cubs have Soler and Cahill due off the DL on rehab assignments, as well as LaStella and Grimm who were sent down because they had options.  It is a whole month before rosters expand.

As near as I can tell, and this is just an educated guess, the only guys left on the roster with options are Edwards and Contreras.  Both players have been performing very well, so it is unlikely they will go anywhere.  I suppose Nathan is expendable right now.  He has no real role in the bullpen and honestly has not pitched all that well.  Also, at his age he might well clear waivers were he DFAed.  I suppose Coghlan might also, though that could be less of a certainty.  I suppose the Cubs want to maintain maximum flexibility for the playoff rosters, but all this juggling is getting a little tricky.

Meanwhile, the team played nearly flawless baseball Monday night to shut out a good Marlins team 5-0.  Flawless I suppose with the exception they left a ton of men on base early in the game.  Hendricks continues to impress.  Right now, as I have noted before, he is the Cubs best pitcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment