Sunday, April 2, 2017

Play Ball!


At last the wait is over.  No real surprises in spring training in terms of the roster.  The performance of a number of the younger players like Happ, Candelario, and Jimenez, though not unexpected, bodes well for the future.  You wonder how the front office is going to fit some of these guys in.  Eddie Butler also looked good in an otherwise uninspiring lot of pitching prospects.

To me, the biggest surprise in the opening day lineup is seeing Heyward in center field and Zobrist in right field instead of second base.  That opens a spot for Baez, who will bat ninth.  An interesting twist anyway.  Heyward right now projects as an all-glove, no-hit player right now.  Most teams find it hard to support this kind of player in a corner outfield spot.

For the record, I know the Cubs do not have a typical leadoff man type, but I do not especially like Schwarber in that spot.  Still, I never thought I would be starting the season hailing the Cubs as defending World Series champions in my lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment