Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Cubs Win!



The Cubs played well Tuesday night.  Nothing remarkable, but I feel I ought to put out a post since I was there.  The game was a pitchers' duel until the sixth inning when the Cubs broke it open with three runs.  Zobrist started it with a home run.  The Cubs then loaded the bases before Avila singled and Heyward hit a sacrifice fly.  Later on Rizzo hit an RBI double to drive home Bryant, who had walked.  That's Rizzo above standing at second base after the hit.

Arrieta pitched a good game.  I was a little surprised to see him removed after the three run rally, but he was at 97 pitches.  I still like to see starters go seven innings, especially when they are working on a two-hit shutout.  Perhaps I am more old school than I imagine.  Uehara immediately gave up a home run and the Cubs needed two more relievers to bring the game to Davis who pitched a scoreless ninth inning.

Since St. Louis clobbered Milwaukee, the Cubs extended their division lead to 3 1/2 games.

Speaking of being old school or whatever, but I have been going to baseball games since I was six years old and I don't remember so many fans getting hit and hurt by foul balls.  I was sitting in a box seat well down the right field line.  Someone was hit by a Baez liner well above where I was seated and maybe ten rows over, probably in line with where the bullpens used to be.  I couldn't see much, but people were gathered around the injured person for ten or fifteen minutes before he was moved out.  Down there you usually get popups and lazy foul flies, especially that far up and down the line.  The really mean fouls used to land in the lower infield boxes.  Not sure if people are just not paying much attention or if the balls are being hit a lot harder than expected on these occasions.

No comments:

Post a Comment