Friday, August 3, 2018

It’s All About the Matchups?

So the Cubs play 4 against the Padres and 3 against the Royals before the Nationals series.  These are 7 automatic wins, but they are already down 1. What happened last night is kind of illustrative of the frustrations that have characterized this season. First off, Montgomery enters the 6th at about the 70 pitch mark. After a routine out, he walks the next guy. Maddon pulls him for his new favorite Jesse Chavez. Chavez gives up a bloop single and then a 3 run homer. Later on we see Duensing enter and put the game out of reach.

So my point is you complain about starters not going deep and having to use up the bullpen, but you routinely pull your starters in the 5th or 6th inning unnecessarily. Am I missing something?  It’s not like it’s the 7th game of the World Series.

The other observation is that without Bryant, the Cubs don’t score runs against lefties. And I cannot tell you how much I hate that lineup and Rizzo leading off. I don’t care how often Rizzo gets on base, it’s no use if he doesn’t score snd the team plays meciocre .500 ball.  Not to mention Heyward batting  third. Your 3 hitter is your best hitter.  Tell me in what alternative universe Heyward is the best hitter on this team.

There, I got this off my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment