Saturday, February 6, 2010

Carlos Zambrano

I notice that lazy sod Zambrano has reported to spring training two weeks early and apparently in the best shape of his career. What a downer this must be for all the Zambrano critics who want to trade him for a couple of washed-up relievers and some Class A infield prospects.

Seriously, I have never been able to understand the animus some fans and sportswriters have developed toward Big Z. Granted he has some issues controlling his emotions, but jeez, judging by the invective directed his way by these selfsame soothsayers, so do they. And besides, I've seen this guy pitch a lot of games, and when he is on, he has some serious stuff.

I do think that Carlos is best served by throwing to a solid defensive catcher who calls a good game. It always seemed to me he had more command in the games that Blanco caught from '05 through '08, and also when he threw to Hill last year. I rather hope the Cubs management tries this more in the future. Soto especially had a really bad defensive season last year, and I recall sitting behind home plate for one Zambrano start and observing that he hardly ever caught any of Z's pitches cleanly. This has got to affect both the umpire's judgment of balls and strikes and also the kind of game you are going to call.

No comments:

Post a Comment