Saturday, July 24, 2010

Another Decent Game

These are the conditions the Cubs were built to play in, so it is nice to see them come through for a change. All in all, a good game, although some of the conditions led to sloppy play on both sides and some of the sloppy play for the Cubs had very little to do with the conditions. Namely, Theriot flubbing up the sure DP that cost them a run and made the game closer than it ought to have been.

Actually, Theriot had another awful day all around, losing a popup in the sun and getting picked off first base as well. Soriano had a bad day as well. His lack of hustle in the first inning on a bloop double was very apparent and he struck out three times. I don't like to harp on the negative, but little things cost teams wins in the long run. This was a one-run game that in the end could have gone either way.

Respecting Colvin, I rather though Piniella's remarks after the game were, for a change, pertinent observations. Basically, he said that he could become one hell of a player when he learned the strike zone. What I don't get is how leading off is going to help with that process. Anyway, he hit a home run again today to lead off, but I have to say that much of the Cubs resurgence, to my mind, has more to do with moving Castro up to the two spot, because this kid is on a tear right now.

Another observation about Colvin is that I think he is basically a left fielder. It is notoriously hard to play RF at Wrigley Field, especially in those early starting games when it is hot and windy. Colvin misplayed several balls hit in his direction today and the Cubs were fortunate they did not do a lot more damage. From my observations, I think Fukudome is one of the few players to have mastered that position in this ballpark, and that is one of the reasons I keep harping on the notion of getting him more playing time at the expense of Soriano who actually cannot play any position well.

Gorzelanny pitched pretty well given the conditions. He is a little wild for my taste, but, and I think I made this observation at the start of the year, he is a pretty good #5 starter.

No comments:

Post a Comment