Thursday, October 7, 2010

Playoff Preview

One of my followers asked for a playoff preview and predictions, so here goes. If a little belated, I'll try to go with my honest sentiments before they started even though we are in the second day of play.

AL: The winner of the Yankees/Twins series will win the championship and I will pick the Yankees. This series on paper looks as if it matches the two best teams, but, frankly, the Yanks own the Twins, and yesterday's game did nothing to contradict that impression. I have to respect the Rays even though I think they are a flawed team. I mean you have to be doing something right to win the AL East. Having said that, however, it looks like they are getting their clock cleaned again by the Rangers. The Rangers have Cliff Lee, but if they advance, I think the Yankees will be too much for them. Sentimentally, I like the Yankees as well because Girardi is their manager (the Cubs should have hired him in 2007, but they shouldn't do so in 2011 and a victory in the Series will pretty much block that move) and also because they picked up Kerry Wood to pitch late relief (the Cubs should think about signing him for 2011).

NL: The Phillies will beat the Reds. I was thinking the Reds would give them a run for their money, but after the Halladay no-hitter, I'm not so sure. The Reds also have Dusty in the dugout, which effectively means he will find a way to lose somewhere along the line. The Giants/Braves series definitely matches the two worst teams in the playoffs. The Giants will advance and probably lose to the Phillies, although if you are looking for a dark horse (and frankly I would like to see an upset here) the Giants pitching can take them a long way.

The Yankees will beat the Phillies in seven games.

No comments:

Post a Comment