Thursday, June 30, 2011

Two Great Games

Of course, I am a sucker for these pitchers' duels and closely played games. Actually, though, I don't understand how Giants fans can stand it. I mean, these guys have fantastic pitching, but they cannot hit their way out of a paper bag unless they are matched up against batting practice pitchers like Doug Davis and John Grabow.

In any case, these games were very much more like the games I had expected the Cubs to play before the season began, close, hard-fought, well-pitched contests where one or two plays would make the difference. Thursday's game was an especially pleasant surprise, though, as Zambrano had to be removed in the second inning with lower back stiffness and the superior pitching was provided by the Cubs bullpen and an especially unexpected source, Marcos Mateo.

I have been directed by my wife to issue a sincere mea culpa for doubting the Cubs comeback chances in the final two innings. When Grabow was inserted to start the 12th, I just about gave up hope. He did manage to load the bases, but somehow he escaped unscathed. When he came out for the 13th, I was getting really nervous.

As it turns out, that nervousness was justified, as Grabow gave up a two-out home run to Pablo Sandoval. OK, guys, I'm sorry I pronounced the game over at that point. Who would have thought they could come back and score four runs in the bottom of the 13th with two outs? I mean, how often does this happen for the Cubs? And two walk-off wins in as many days?

Mea culpa.

Hopefully the Sox series will continue this upward trend and give us something to watch through the doldrums of summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment