Sunday, July 20, 2014

Oops

Here's an indication of just how bad things have become for the Cubs.  It seems that in last evening's loss to Arizona, Rick Renteria came out to make a double switch and forgot to remove his struggling starter Travis Wood.  Bizarre to say the least.  From the account of the game at the Cubs website:
How strange are things for the Cubs? Renteria forgot to remove Wood during a double switch in the sixth.
"It's very unorthodox, but not illegal," Renteria said, chuckling.
The manager went out to tell home-plate umpire Jim Joyce about the change, which is required.
"I was talking to Jim," Renteria said. "I grabbed the rail [of the dugout], because I was going to take a spill, and I grabbed the rail and I'm laughing. I said, 'Gosh, I think I blew my shoulder out,' and I'm giving him the switch.
"As I kept continuing to talk to him, I lost track that I left my pitcher out there," Renteria said. "I know [manager Kirk Gibson] came out, but it's not illegal because I never went to the hill."
Not to worry.  Wood was eventually replaced by Villanueva who promptly allowed the two inherited runners to score anyway, effectively putting the game completely out of reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment