Friday, December 11, 2015

Heyward Signs

I think this is a plus for the Cubs, especially if they play him in center field and do not trade away Soler or Schwarber.  Heyward is a genuinely good outfielder and a consistently good patient hitter.  He is by no means a great hitter, though, and in that sense he is a little overvalued, at least to my way of thinking.  I definitely see Heyward as a potential improvement in center field over Fowler and, honestly, about the equivalent as a hitter in the Cubs alignment.

No question the Cubs have strengthened themselves short term with Zobrist and Lackey, and, again, potentially long term with Heyward.  I qualify that assessment of Heyward mainly because his new contract has multiple opt-out clauses.




Whether they need to move either Soler or Baez right now is a moot point.  Personally, I think you do this only if you can get a third ace with long term team control.  So far I do not see that sort of pitcher being available right now, other than Cueto, who is, of course, a free agent, and so costs nothing but money.

No comments:

Post a Comment