Saturday, October 20, 2018

NLCS

I was happy to see the Brewers eliminated by the Dodgers.  I confess to a particular disdain for the Milwaukee club, but, honestly, I don't see how they were able to win 96 games with that roster.  I mean, besides Cain and Yelich and Aquilar, they have a bunch of aging veterans, most of whom they picked up at the trade deadline and several platoon players.  Worst of all, they have no starting pitchers worth the name.  In the entire series, a seven game series, their starters pitched something like 20 innings.

Of course, they have a great bullpen, and I suppose you have to credit Counsel full marks for getting as far as he did with this team.  However, Counsel did come a cropper in the NLCS, doing his best to channel his inner Joe Maddon on steroids in the process.  You can only go so far when you routinely go to the bullpen in the third or fourth inning.  Sooner or later, they are going to run out of gas.

I expect Boston to make short work of LA in the World Series.  I really thought the ALCS would go longer, as Houston is a quality team, but the fact that the Red Sox eliminated them in five games, three on the road, speaks volumes about their approach and talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment